Our frontline heroes: A story by Lalita Vaitheeswaran

Sakharam was teary-eyed while he collected the hospital waste and carried it to the sanitation department. His pregnant wife was due for delivery in another week but he wasn't able to go as he wasn't given leave.

Dr. Rahul Sharma, the ICCU physician read his eyes and went to him clad in his PPE braving the deluge of COVID patients...

Sakharam..don't worry...We are all in the same boat. Tell me her whereabouts so that I tell my colleague there to tend to her.

Thank you, Sahab...Sakharam could not stop his tears...

Suddenly there was chaos...

Two policemen were wheeled into the emergency. Constable Mahipal was bleeding as he had been run over by curfew violators. Sub Inspector Rohit was wincing in pain as his hand had been crushed by rioters. They were taken into the Operation theater and were being clinically assessed for surgery by Dr. Rahul.

Doctor saheb...please save me..you are God...

Prayed the policemen...

Dr. Rahul smiled and patted them softly... 

You are our heroes...Nothing will happen to you..just stay calm...

Sister Angela came running with IV fluids and antibiotics and as she put in the IV line she prayed to God for their well being.

Sir...Madam is on the line...she said to Dr. Rahul...as she put the phone to his ears...
As he listened...he looked stone-faced and numb...

It wasn't the wife...it was the CMO of the district hospital...

Dr. Rahul! your wife Dr. Sudha has to be taken in isolation...as a patient in her ward has tested positive...

Sir...but my five-year-old daughter...can't stay alone...and I can't leave my hospital...he begged as he cried...

Don't worry doc...I am also your friend....she will be taken care of in our hospital nursery...

Sister Angela was praying...

Oh God !!!

First, Sakharam...then the policemen..and now our favorite Dr. Rahul's wife...Please keep them safe...

I was sipping my coffee as the delivery boy rang my doorbell to deliver my essentials.....I thanked him profusely as I pledged to do MY least...
To stay Home!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born Again: A poem by Gomathi Mohan

Petrichor: A poem by Vandana Saxena

A stranger: A poem by Preeti S Manaktala