Jasmine: A poem by Jayashree Bhattacherjee

Through the entangled foliage of my tree
A gleeful branchlet of pristine jasmine peeped at me
The naive, serene, sweet smiling flowers glowed in their purest white
As they sparkled with dewdrops in the morning light
Memories unleashed, I went back to our fragrant days
When we chanted love songs at the peak of our heydays
In summer when the jasmine plant, we planted, blossomed with flowers
With an innocuous smile, you gathered some and stringed them for hours
In the evening when the garland graced your braided hair
Your unbeaten charm made me whisper, "You look so beautiful dear !"
From open calyxes wafted the scent so intoxicating
I was drunk in the  moment, held you tight with my heart fast beating
Sadly our love story ended shortly, you are no more by my side
With aching heart my tears I try to hide
Yet at night when in ethereal beauty the jasmine blossoms at late hour
I feel our love is still alive like the essence of the flower
When the scented breeze wafts into my room playfully through
Dances upon my memory soothing scents of you
Jasmine yields to me a sight of love, lifting up my gloom
Our love keeps its fragrance with the flowers in full bloom.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A stranger: A poem by Preeti S Manaktala

Born Again: A poem by Gomathi Mohan

Petrichor: A poem by Vandana Saxena