Last Letter: A letter by Heera Nawaz


Dear Heera
As you know, I am a patient here at St. John’s Medical Hospital, admitted because of my ongoing liver ailments of cirrhosis. From the recent medical reports, I am aware that time is not on my side, and my chips are down. Last night, I vomited blood, and I realized instinctively that my end is near, which means that this will probably be my last letter to you. Therefore, do read it carefully.

Beti, I want you to know that your mom and me have loved and cherished you, Tara and Munna, more than you will ever realize. In your life, there are going to be ups and downs and plenty of challenges thrown in, but don’t ever lose your indomitable spirit and zest for life. We named you `Heera’ because we wanted you to always glitter and glow like a diamond, with inner strength and outer sparkle. Never give up on your dreams, whether it is to do some amazing writing or to become a worthwhile person in this world where sincere, enthusiastic people are few and far between. As Abdul Kalam reiterated. “Dreams are not the things that you see in your sleep, they are the things that do not allow you to sleep.”

Beti, you must have faith in a higher power. Although your mom and me didn’t bring you up with a specific religion, we always wanted you all to be secular and display humanism. We hope we have done that because in life, the only thing that truly matter is how kindly you have treated others. Remember these words, “People will forget what you did, people will forget what you said, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Be that special person that brings joy and light to people’s lives, like a candle that lights up others while it itself gets consumed.

In life, there are three options. You can give up, you can give in, or you can give it all you’ve got. Remember to make the third choice every time. Even when you feel lonely or low key, remember to get up, show up and not give up.

You tend to be lonely, but I want you to be friendly and have some good friends. They will help you during the difficult times when me and your mom are not around. They will give you all the support that a single woman needs. They will have your back and they will not let you down.

Indeed, as I write these words, my tears are blurring my vision. Whenever you feel low, recall these words from `Winnie the Pooh’ by Christopher Robin, “My dear daughter, If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together, there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is even if we’re apart, I’ll always be with you.”
                                                          Your Loving Dad,



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A stranger: A poem by Preeti S Manaktala

Born Again: A poem by Gomathi Mohan

The book of my life: A poem by Richa Srivastava