Happiness is...: A poem by Nisha Raviprasad


the dawdling dusk seemed to linger some more
and on the beach drifting into sleepy gray 
were chiaroscuros, most running about in a mad frenzy
few deliriously drowned in a bubble of foamy blather 
silly young lovers holding on to each other fighting time

laughter and smiles, hugs and kisses, silence and eager prattle
happiness exudes in the salty air, waves grab my feet
for a moment I stay devoid of vacillating thoughts
a bounce within touching the perse hues of the sky

and I float in a perfect oasis of bliss
till his stretched hand looks at me
his white hair, dirty and unkempt, draped around
was an old rag, tattered, sewn a million times

sorrow in his wrinkled face pleaded and such
anguish clawed into my bones, and grave agony arose
I got up rummaging my pockets and purse

I saw him eat as never before, smile at me
with old yet glimmering eyes that my heart swelled 
with such happiness, that I struggled to breath
Happiness is in giving, loving, sharing with lesser privileged ones.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A stranger: A poem by Preeti S Manaktala

Born Again: A poem by Gomathi Mohan

The book of my life: A poem by Richa Srivastava