My colorful dream - in my darkest night : A poem by Smitha Vishwanath


My heart is heavy,
The air is still, in it the scent of the English ivy.
I cannot sleep, my mind's a frenzy,
I know not what 'morrow shall bring,
In the dark recesses, lies a secret untold,
Threatening to break free, the past unfold,
I feel a flutter, a brewing unease,
I toss, I turn, I freeze.
Not a sign of life or calming breeze,
Weariness creeps, it stifles, I cannot breathe,
A drunken stupor, trance. 'Peace' - must I lease?
My eye-lids close, my troubles cease...

Sweeping fields before me lie; tulips- violet, burgundy, cream, and white,
Amidst them, yellow silks, red bindi, your face soft; a heavenly sight
Stray tendrils, caress your cheek; calm me down; a sea-breeze in the night,
Kohl lined ebony eyes smile, "It's going to be alright."
Stay! Don't leave... my eyes shut tight
Alas! It's gone...and takes you too; the morning light.
Golden rays echo your words; a bright new morn,
Blue skies, green grass, the flowers, and birds; my woes begone,
A dreamer I ne'er was before, but now I am,
Ever since you've gone... Dreams bring you to life,
But... only on the darkest nights; when my mind is in strife. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A stranger: A poem by Preeti S Manaktala

Born Again: A poem by Gomathi Mohan

The book of my life: A poem by Richa Srivastava