Utopian Earth: An article by Vandana Bhasin

Utopian Earth

The third planet in the Solar System of Milky Way galaxy, I am named Earth.

Of all the celestials in the Universe, I am the only one blessed with life.

For millions of years, I was just a ball of gases with layers of land and water. Then fortuitously, I reared vegetation. I was truly elated! I was unique! Even without any rings around my body and with just one moon revolving around me, I was exceptional!

Over time, I became so abundant that I was totally green.  I cherished my greens and blues, my beauty and bounty with care and tenderness.

Soon, a very special species took abode on me. They called themselves “humans.” It was a magnificent species with brilliant and creative mind and a heart filled with affection and emotions.

Humans started exploring more of me. I fell in love with this species and their inquisitiveness and I supported them enthusiastically.

I admired the way in which they took care of my flora and fauna and lovingly referred to me as “Mother Earth.” Their vividly imaginative mind led to many inventions and discoveries. I witnessed their efforts and deeds for ages.

The population of humans started multiplying swiftly along with their increasing technological advancement. They began exploiting my resources rather than exercising judicious use of my already depleting wealth.

I attempt to hold back my frustration, as I am a mother aboding hundreds of millions of living beings. But disenchanted with their impassive behavior, sometimes my wrath surfaces and humans label it as “natural disaster.” But unfortunately, they are still inept at eliciting any learning out of it and construe plans for my further deterioration.

If I could learn to communicate with humans in their language, I would urge them to stop desecrating me.

I wish to express how their reprehensible actions torment me.

I wish to convey that they are impeding their own growth by obscuring my survival.

I am a mother and it hurts to watch and fathom my children experience discomfort and distress while all I desire is a “Utopian Earth!”


©Vandana Bhasin


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A stranger: A poem by Preeti S Manaktala

Born Again: A poem by Gomathi Mohan

The book of my life: A poem by Richa Srivastava